Thursday, July 29, 2010

Customer service gave wrong advice costing me $2400.?

I leased a car from Toyota 5 years ago. I was offered a job in Hawaii and asked if it was OK to bring it. Customer service said when the lease is over just turn it in to any toyota dealer. Last month, I brought the car to a hawaii toyota dealer and they refused to accept it. I called customer service and they said ';sorry for the wrong information but on the contract you signed you were not supposed to bring the car to Hawaii';. Toyota can't sell me the car because of dealership laws. Now, I have to ship it back to California. Total Cost for round trip boat ride $2400. Do you think since customer service gave me wrong information that they should be responsible for some of the cost to have it returned? I just neeed another opinion. ThanksCustomer service gave wrong advice costing me $2400.?
Check your lease and determine who you can purchase the vehicle from. Contact them, even if they are in California, and buy the car from them.





If the lease says you can purchase it from Toyota and they give you a song and dance ask them for a copy of the ';Dealership Laws'; that prevent them from selling you the car. I suspect you will find that a clerk or low level supervisor made that one up.





If it turns out that Toyota itself does not operate any dealerships in Hawaii (which is the most likely reason someone made up the ';Dealership Laws'; thing) tell them, politely of course, that you expect them to make arrangements with a local dealer so that you can purchase the vehicle. I am reasonably confident that they arrange leases in Hawaii as well as California that being the case the mechanisms are in place to handle vehicles coming off lease.





(If you are going to lease or purchase another Toyota it won't hurt to let them know.)





Hope this helps


Jerry-the-bookkeeper






No comments:

Post a Comment