Tuesday, July 27, 2010

I WANT TO JOIN THE SERVICE...PLEASE ADVICE.?

Sorry guys, this is going to be a little long.





I am 24 yo, with an Assoc. Degree in Fashion Marketing and Management (grad. 2003). Pretty much, I am not working on my field because I was never interested (entered college at 16yo- maybe i was too young to take things seriously), and the chances of going back to college is 0 to none because I dont know what to study, have bad credit etc. I'm stock in a dead end job and feel like there' has to be more out there I can be learning and experiencing. I was married to a US Marine (active-9 yrs) and I mentioned him the thoughts of me joining the service a couple of times but he always convenced me not to. Last night, I went to bed at 3;30am (to wake up at 6am) because I couldnt stop thinking about it. I feel like I have nothing to lose and so much to gain. I wrote down on a piece of paper why should and shouldnt join. Turns out I have 27 reasons to join and only 4 I shouldnt. I have 2 sisters (profesionals) and I feel like a loser because I havent acomplished anything I, nor my family, could be proud of. I want to challenge myself, travel, hungry to learn etc. I already filled out the form online for more information, but I'm curious about my age and my reasons to want to join. I havent spoken to anyone about this, because they wouldnt expect this from me (most people think im the clown of the crowd/clumpsy/weak/even dumb/irresponsible). Can someone help me please? Am I too old to join? Maybe Im just trying to escape my real life, but this is not the first time I've thought of this. Is the military for certain type of people (strong will/not lazy) or do they really make you be that way?


Any advices or info will be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.


1 hour ago - 4 days left to answer.


Additional Details


I do want to study and learn, but not in a reg college. I feel that's not for me anymore. I dont want to get another student loan (if i still qualif w my credit) when I dont even know what to study (make same mistake again). Plus, this economy is horrible right now and finding another dead end job will be hell. I want to focus on something and know that I'll be working on the field once I'm done. I want to proof myself I can do it, I want to be proud of myself and make my family proud.I WANT TO JOIN THE SERVICE...PLEASE ADVICE.?
Talk to the recruiter


ask questions(e.g how long will I have to serve?)


find out the benefits/commitment


study for the ASVAB


Prepare yourself mentally and physicallyI WANT TO JOIN THE SERVICE...PLEASE ADVICE.?
If i were you i would talk to the recruiter then make a decision with your family
I do not think you are stupid for wanting to join, however is this desire to serve going to last after the thrill of enlistment and boot camp? Are you prepared to be possible separated from your husband and possibly have two different assignments? 24 is not too old to join, however you really need to take in consideration that this is a contract and dedication. Make sure you are ready for this, your husband seems hesitant for the same reason I would be. I would be upset if my wife enlisted while I was AD, especially in another branch.





You can find a great opportunity and success with a life in the military. However, be prepared to have your family separated and deployments. If this is really what you want, then good luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment