Tuesday, July 27, 2010

This is for those in the US Army.especially married service men/women..Advice?

Ok.





I am from Australia. Soon, i will be filing for an adjustment of status to US resident..then of course..the waiting game..the.. i will have my greencard.





My wife and i have been talking and i was thinking of joining the Army after i receive residency status. Most of my life i spent driving forklifts and working in a storage environment.





What are your experiences with the US Army? Would there be..say..room for people like me?This is for those in the US Army.especially married service men/women..Advice?
There's room for anyone in good shape. I was in recently but was medically discharged before I could go to Iraq unfortunately.





First of all, when you talk to the recruiter, ask him about something called the ';trail blazer'; during basic training. They change the name occasionally. It basically involves being able to max out the AIT PT test at day 1. You want to do that.





Since you're married, you'll probably want to get a non-combat MOS. (Although I took a combat MOS because I'm married) Try for something along the lines of supply clerk, mechanic, or something of the like. Don't worry if you aren't trained, they'll teach you everything. Mortician is a messy and unpleasant job, but if you can handle, it usually has a great signing bonus. DO NOT GO 88M! Those are truck drivers. They have the highest mortality rate in Iraq and they need everyone they can get. It sound good and easy, but it's not cool.





Signing bonuses are paid after AIT, as much as 6 months later depending on the MOS. Married people should stay away from counter intelligence since that could keep you away 10 months out of the year, but it's my number one suggestion for single people.





Just so you know, Basic Training is all about messing with your mind. When you get on base, just turn your personality off for about 3 or 4 months.





Injuries in the Army. The Army is mean on this one. If you get injured during anytime you get handed your orders and taken to the airport and the end of AIT, THEY WILL TRY to pass it off as a prior injury, no matter how stupid. I saw guys getting general discharge on collapsed arches. Not a pleasant thing, but I did see an honorable on a hernia.





Well, the first few months are hell, after that, it's sweet. It's good job, you're taken care of, and if you learn well, you have plenty of potential. If you go to Iraq, you can still get free college there. And you should take every opportunity for college credits possible. A degree means eligibility for officer training and a good position in the army.





And finally, make sure you fill out the paper work correctly. Take your time, especially when calculating income. Being married, I made more than the lieutenant as a PVT.





It's a good life, but it is the Army and the Army is about war. For some reason a bunch of kids these days forget that when they sign the papers. They think about travel and college and easy money and forget that it's about fighting.





Well, I encourage it and wish you luck.This is for those in the US Army.especially married service men/women..Advice?
if you are young guy yes.
i am in the army now





if you join, keep in mind you WILL deploy, and you will be seperated from your family.......





there are benifits though, you AND your family get really good health care the pay is a little light but they make up for it in housing alowence, and other benifits.





as far as ';some one like you'; joining, i used to work in a whare house, a lumber mill and a whole slew of factories as a laborer, mindless work.





now i'm trained in a job which i use my brain about 95% more than my brawn .





you can join, study for the ASVAB test it is what they use to see what you are qualafied for.
Do everything legally, and you'll do just fine. I know several people who have come from Africa, Asia, South America, and Europe and went right into the U.S. military. It's a great thing that our country does by making it easy to serve, and you're rewarded very well. It makes getting your citizenship a bit smoother, as well.





Keep in mind, though, that there's a war. Chances are that you'll be going to Iraq, *especially* if you become a medic or something along those lines. Well, you're looking at the Army. No matter what you decide to do, you'll probably end up in Iraq. Of course, if you support the war, you may be willing to go...but many people I know don't and they dislike it. That, and you'll be seperated from family and home.





Then again, there are so many benefits. I've literally seen the world thanks to the Air Force, and I couldn't ask for more.





If it's your dream, don't let Iraq stand in the way.
My experience is with the US Air Force, 22 years active and currently retired.





I can't recall any assignment, or any base where a good material handler wasn't a valuable commodity. If you are looking for something else, just talk with recruiter.





Good Luck
The prospects for enlistment are very good... Contact an Army recruiter and talk (YOU DONT HAVE TO SIGN UP THEN) and see what your options are.
I have been in the military and it was probably the best thing I ever did for myself. No matter your qualifications they will train you to do something.





Good luck and I think it's a good idea.
I agree with Charlie. You probably will be deployed. Try something medical. X-ray tech, lab tech, medic: something that can be used on the outside. I was in the military for 7 years. It was a good experience, but I was single at the time. good luck
I was think you might be too old. I thought they limit was twenty seven, but its more like 34-35 and now there is talk about raising to 42.
There's plenty of room in the army. The age limit is currently 40, and you can get an accelerated citizenship.
WELL AS LONG AS YOU ARE A LEGAL CITIZEN YOU SHOULD BE FINE. I AM NOT IN THE ARMY BUT I AM IN THE AIR FORCE. NO MATTER WHAT YOU DO OR DON'T HOW TO DO THEY WILL TRAIN YOU FOR YOUR JOB. BUT KNOWING HOW TO DRIVE A FORKLIFT MAY HELP A LITTLE. I WISH YOU GOOD LUCK BECAUSE WE NEED MORE PEOPLE LIKE YOU THAT ARE WILLING TO JOIN THE SERVICE OUT OF FREE WILL AND I THINK YOU WILL LIKE IT.

No comments:

Post a Comment