Thursday, July 29, 2010

I need a little advice, Small socail club, being bullied by the prison service over sales and more need advice

I am the chairman of a small prison officers social club %26amp; function hall which has been running for around 30 years. aprox 8 years ago, Prison service HQ said we must operate on our own, with no assistance from them at all, 3 years ago HQ told us we could not sell alcohol during the core day 0745-1730 only soft drinks, because of the services alcohol policy, which we abide by ';although I believe it to be an illegal act, I know not where to check';. Now they are saying they wish to take the Func hall for another use. we pay no rates (never been asked), or fuel bills (as they wont or cant give us an exact usage bill) we pay all other bills and licences tho, the hall is and always has been our main source of income and losing it will cause loss of more trade and then close the business, we are a non profit club and have no money to go to court with. what can we do, help me please as I am at a loss, and I'm no interlectual.I need a little advice, Small socail club, being bullied by the prison service over sales and more need advice
It sounds as if this is a tenant issue. The prison, somehow, owns the building which the social club utilizes. It comes down to the facts that the owner can give reasonable notice and then expect to evict (or change) the use of their building.





That you have been functioning happily for such a long time would tend to make me think there is a moral obligation but I do not see the point for a legal one.





I agree with you about not bothering with court for another reason than the little money you have. At court, really no one wins. I wonder if there is a way for mediation. As another suggestion, contact a local civil official like a representative or something, someone who might speak or write a letter on your behalf.





That you do service for prison officers is noble and if you can suggest that a local community official act on your behalf may be the way to go.I need a little advice, Small socail club, being bullied by the prison service over sales and more need advice
Of course you have money to go to court with, it is called each officer donate a certain amoungt of money, 100 officers each give 200 dollars you got 20,000 dollars a great way to start paying an attorney.
Your question has brought several questions to my mind, which I hope you will be able to explore further and will help you resolve your issue.





First, I know very little about British property law beyond what I studied in law school as far as how Common Law relates to current US property law.





However, the first question that I can think of is, is this a case of adverse possession? Second, under what terms does the social club use the hall?





Perhaps there won't be much you can do, but I hope you will seek the advise of a barrister or solicitor that can answer your question.

No comments:

Post a Comment